Wednesday, November 5, 2008

From Our Stake Relief Society President

Dear Family,

I have started this message, “Dear Family,” because it is how I feel at the core of my heart. This experience we have shared together will be recorded in that special place of my heart where we store those life experiences that our Savior speaks of when he promises…”All these things shall be for thy good.” I would have been writing this email regardless of last night’s outcome of this hard fought battle. The fact that the majority of California citizens have taken a stand with us is icing on the cake for me. What has been the personal blessing for me is the time, energy, work, effort, and devotion to this cause that we have lived together for what seems like forever! Because of this call to serve by our dear Prophet, we not only can now “return and report,” and answer Our Savior in the affirmative, but we have grown closer as a family of saints; we have strengthened our might, our spirits, and our brotherhood and sisterhood. We have, as well, strengthened our friendship with those of other faiths within our community.

Today I had an assignment to feed 42 Elders for a zone conference. As my presidency and I finished our preparations for the lunch, I took a few minutes to walk around the halls of our stake center. Other than the elders in their meetings, the building was quiet. I looked at the beautiful artwork on the walls, glanced at the photos of full time missionaries serving from our stake, and heard the quiet murmurs down the hall in the Family History Library. An overwhelming surge of love filled me as my gratitude for the Lords’ church brought tears. If I could have, I would have wrapped my arms around the building and squeezed it with love and gratitude. Instead, I whispered to myself, “I am proud to member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”

I am deeply grateful for my association with the saints. I am proud to stand with you whether it be in our chapels each Sunday or standing on a corner of a busy intersection waving a sign.

With love and respect,
Sister Berry

No comments: