Sunday, May 10, 2009

Missionary Moments - News From Sister Romney

It’s time to put on paper some of the great things that have been happening in Nauvoo.

We were able to celebrate the commemoration of Relief Society’s modest beginnings 167 years ago in the Red Brick Store on the 17th of March. What a significant event! The program that was planned was wonderful. Sister Kathleen Hughes of the former General Relief Society Presidency is here as a Public Affairs missionary with her famous author husband, and her addition to the program was so appropriate. Also, the music and other portrayed parts were outstanding. The token gift so that we would always remember that evening was a bound volume of contributed stories from 90% of the Temple and Site missionaries here. It is an amazing collection of personal accounts of the various ways that RS has blessed the lives of so many sisters here. I can hardly wait to share it with you.

We are seeing a regular increase of visitors to Nauvoo. Spring Break has brought many families, as well as a number of non-member visitors. In two weeks, we begin with the school children of Illinois who spend a one day field trip here to learn about frontier history. No testimonies, of course, but, the area will be buzzing with lots of inquisitive 4th graders. It should be fun.

Our twice a week showing of “Rendezvous….” is going well. Our cast will also begin performing our additional two nights of “Sunset By the Mississippi” on the 23rd of May, so we are rehearsing in earnest for that as well. It’s a busy, busy life! And I love it. Such a great missionary experience. Here the nonmembers actually come to you and ask questions!! Having the opportunity to bear your testimony of Christ, or living prophets on the earth, or the Book of Mormon regularly is a thrilling thing. I’d forgotten how much a part of who I am is connected with my Church membership. I certainly owe everything I have and am to the Church. I will never take it for granted.

I have had great health, but, then I don’t have the time to be ill. I get to the Temple often and truly do love being in that beautiful Temple. That is the one thing that I want all of you to experience. It is so appropriately and tastefully done. Keep me and all of the missionaries in your prayers. I have seen the power work! Love, Sister R

No comments: