Saturday, October 11, 2008

Does it matter?

As we rush from one thing to another, transferring kids, busy jobs, house stuff and families we often ask, 'Does it matter?'.
It seems like there is always someone needing help. It is sometimes just a meal or maybe it will take a major time commitment. We are already overbooked and when we hear about the need we wonder if we will be missed if we skip this time.

I just had a phone call from a sister from another state. Today is her moving day. She has small children. The ward was going to help her move. Unfortunately the sister that was going to watch her kids had to cancel. No problem, she will work around them. Surely it won't take too long, she has been working for weeks to get everything organized. She waits for the ward to show up to help. It gets there - well, her home teacher gets there. He is in his 70's. No one else comes. She calls me crying, asking, "What is wrong with me?"

Nothing. It is just a ward that doesn't get it. I think back to the day one of our sisters moved. We had three moves that day. Every one was helped. The priesthood brothers even took time to help her neighbor unload his car. What makes the difference? I think we grow in our ability to love and follow the Savior through our service to others. It is inevitable that the more we serve, the more we love, and the more we love the more we want to serve. It is this pattern that makes the difference between a good ward and a great ward. I am reminded of the Emily Dickinson Poem,

They might not need me; but they might.
I'll let my head be just in sight;
A smile as small as mine might be
Precisely their necessity.

1 comment:

Marilee Weston said...

Truly, a remarkable ward we have.